Thursday, July 27, 2006

I dyed some cotton yarn for my log cabin. :D

I started with a tie-dye kit from Michaels and three Rit dyes. But those came second.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
We just went for a blob-here-and -there approach. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting->This was the 2 skiens we dyed with the tie-dye kit
We wrapped these up in saran wrap to sit and stew for 4-6 hours.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Then we moved onto the Rit dye in a bottle method where I made up the directions. I rinsed out the bottles from the tie-dye kit and dumped some salt (cause it was cotton) and half a pack of the dye. Then I mixed with water and shook. This method was squirt it around the outside in circles, as described by my assistant Dave.
This one looks kinda like a butcher's table. Eww. But great yarn takes a price, if a few had to dye in the process, well so be it. :PPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Next step, drain the well and rinse the hell out of these things. I even soaked them while I showered before work to help draw the extra dye out.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Two days drying in open air and 99% humidity did nothing but irritate me, the yarn was still wet. SO, I borrowed a friend's dryer and spent 2 hours knitting on her couch instead of mine.
These are the four resulting balls of yarn. When we dyed these, I told him to do it the same way as the frist, none of them even sorta match. Eh, hope like hell I don't end up needing more than one ball to get my logs knit up with these. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: